Well hi there everybody! I hope your week is turning out just swell.
Just a few cool things:
1. The paperback of THE MAZE RUNNER is officially in stores! I'd love to hear from anyone who has picked it up, discovered it for the first time, what you think of the bonus material, etc. Speak!
2. Random House has put up an official Facebook page for the MAZE RUNNER trilogy, and I need all my Duders to show your presence! Check it out: CLICK HERE.
3. I owe a TON to the HUNGER GAMES trilogy. Though my series was sold to Random House well before the first book even came out, I was in the right place at the right time because the dystopian/post apocalyptic tale has really surged because of Suzanne Collins' books. Thank you Ms. Collins!!!! How has it helped me, you ask? Here are two examples:
4. I was mentioned in this USA TODAY article about the release of MOCKINGJAY: CLICK HERE.
5. As if that wasn't cool enough, a few days later, I was mentioned in this NEW YORK TIMES article: CLICK HERE.
6. Both of those were very surreal to me. I know I'm still acting like a giddy rookie, but I am and I can't help it!
7. Random thought of the day: I love my new iPad more than my children, but I would never tell them. Doh!
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Well hi there everybody! I hope your week is turning out just swell.
Posted by James Dashner at 8:10 AM
Monday, August 16, 2010
I would just like to publicly announce (calmly and collectively) that I'm officially done with the first draft of THE DEATH CURE, the third and final book of THE MAZE RUNNER trilogy. I'm happy about this, but I'm choosing to act like I've been there before and not make a fool of myself. There'll be no giddy rants or silly phrases about dancing or jumping or kissing complete strangers, and certainly nothing about knocking over old ladies in the park, my old standard.
And now I have an incredibly busy two weeks of revising and editing before I send it off to my editor.
To celebrate, I thought I'd reveal the little summary thingamajig that will be on the inside cover flap of THE SCORCH TRIALS, because I've noticed it's not available anywhere on the Internet yet. Honestly, I don't know why. But since it'll be on the book, I'm assuming it's okay to share with you guys.
It's always impossible to make these things perfect. As I read the paragraphs, some things in it are KINDA true, but when you read the book you'll see it from a different perspective. But it definitely gives you the flavor of what the book is about. And it contains a lot of spoilers.
Personally, I don't think you should read it. I never do. I like to go into a book knowing absolutely nothing, which is the same reason I refuse to watch movie previews. But then again, most people think I'm weird about this, so whatever. If you want to read it, read it. If you don't, STOP NOW!
The Maze was only the beginning...
Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more Variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to.
In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety... until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago.
Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, much of the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated--and with it, order--and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim... and meal.
The Gladers are far from done running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them.
Thomas can only wonder--does he hold the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED?
!END OF SPOILER ALERT!
I really think you guys will like it. It's very different from Book One, and you really start finding out what's going on behind the scenes, the bigger picture of WHY they're being put through these trials. Not everything, but a lot is answered. Of course, new questions arise...
Less than two months away!!! And remember, the paperback comes out in one week!
Posted by James Dashner at 10:10 AM
Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Just wanted to drop in and give a few tidbits of information:
1. I'm participating with a BUNCH of authors in a "Writing for Charity" event on Saturday, August 21st at the Waterford School in Sandy, UT. All proceeds go to buying books for under privileged children (and that's a good thing in case you're wondering). Some of the authors include Shannon Hale, Brandon Mull, Bree Despain, Brandon Sanderson, Jessica Day George, Dan Wells, Wendy Toliver, Sara Zarr, Anne Bowen, Emily Wing Smith... okay, you get the point.
If you have any interest in writing, or just like to meet authors, check it out. The evening event will be a lot of fun, and, ahem, yours truly will be serving as the MC, so you never know what might happen. For all the details, CLICK HERE.
2. I'm working hard on the third and final book of the MAZE trilogy, THE DEATH CURE. I'm writing the climax right now, which is very bittersweet because it means I'm almost done with this story. Boohoo.
3. The paperback for THE MAZE RUNNER comes out in two weeks!!! (Tues, August 24.) That's the same day as MOCKINGJAY, so at least I know a lot of people will be in the stores. The first two chapters of THE SCORCH TRIALS are in the paperback of MAZE, and there's also another little surprise that I'm not allowed to share yet...
4. Speaking of SCORCH, it comes out in two months! (Tues, Oct. 12.) I'll be going all over the country that month, so hopefully I'll get to see/meet a lot of you. Looking forward to it.
5. If you live in the United Kingdom (that's not Disneyland, for my less educated readers), MAZE is now available there. I'd love to hear from some of our UK Duders if you've seen it, read it, whatever. I know you're out there!
6. My wife has officially agreed that I can get a brand new iPad as a reward for something that, ahem, I'm not allowed to tell you about yet. (I do love throwing that around. I really do.) I would just like the world to know that I'm very excited about this.
7. I swear I had more to talk about, but I should cut it short anyway. Lots of writing to do!
8. Have a wonderful day.
9. Oh, this just in: a soon-to-be giveaway of the SCORCH ARC from our very own faithful Duder, Dave: CLICK HERE.
Posted by James Dashner at 12:26 PM
Friday, August 6, 2010
Alas, our fun and exciting contest has come to an end. (Don't you hate when people use the word alas?) I'm kinda sad because I really enjoyed reading about all the good deeds you guys have been doing out there. I know they were things you would've done anyway, and it makes me proud of my Duders. You're all good people.
This wasn't easy. We had over 350 entries! Through a joint collaboration of my family's efforts, and combining randomness and goodness, the winners of an ARC for THE SCORCH TRIALS are as follows:
Congratulations!!!! Please let me know your email address, and we'll contact you to get your mailing address. And be sure and let us know what you think! (especially, ahem, if you, ahem, like it.)
Note: For those of you who know me personally and entered, we purposefully didn't pick you. Sorry about that. I figured you can come over and borrow it. Haha.
Posted by James Dashner at 11:38 AM
Thursday, August 5, 2010
Wow, over 250 comments for our giveaway contest!
My publicist has graciously allowed me to give away FIVE ARCs instead of just one! That's five times the number that I thought originally. (Because at first I was only going to give away one. And five times one is five.)
Because of this switcheroo, I'm extending the contest by 24 hours. Not just to give more people a chance, but because I need to put some thought into the winners. It was going to be random, but now I think I'll do a mix of random and judging your deeds for some that stand out. Maybe I'll let my kids decide one...
For those of you who haven't entered yet, feel free to leave the comment on this post. Both will count.
I have to tell you guys. Wow. I've read each and every entry, and I'm really blown away. There's been a lot of good done in the world for this, and I say thank you!
Posted by James Dashner at 11:17 AM
Monday, August 2, 2010
As promised, today begins the official contest to win an advanced copy of the sequel to THE MAZE RUNNER. It's very simple:
I want some good to come out of this, so here's how you enter. Leave a comment telling us about a good deed you plan to do/have done this week. It doesn't have to be big or elaborate. Just something simple. Make another person's day. Make a donation. Save the world. Convince the NFL to move to 18 games. Whatever.
The contest will be open until Thursday (Aug 5) at noon (MST), at which time I'll announce the winner. Good luck!!!
Posted by James Dashner at 9:50 AM