Thursday, February 14, 2008

First Draft Complete! and LTUE


Well, this is a little anticlimactic, but I can now officially say that my first draft of THE 13TH REALITY, BOOK 2: THE HUNT FOR DARK INFINITY is complete! It took me 3 and a half months, clocks in at 95,418 words, and was completed on schedule, just as I planned. Yes, I'm very proud of myself (and yes, I was writing at 4:00 in the morning to make sure I met my goal).

It will probably end up around 100,000 words because I know of a scene I want to add and there are a few I want to flesh out more. Not to mention the dreaded rounds of rewrites coming up with my wife, friends, and my editor. But today, we rejoice! I finished by my anniversary.

Also, on a completely different note, I can't believe I forgot to mention an event I'm involved with this weekend. If any of you live in Utah, listen up.

It's called LTUE, which stands for "Life, the Universe, and Everything." It's an annual symposium held at BYU (Brigham Young University), and it's mainly for the genres of science fiction and fantasy. Basically, a little mini con type thing. Read: lots of people who glory in Star Trek and Harry Potter.

This year has some exciting guests, and it's totally free. Orson Scott Card will be there, Brandon Sanderson, Gail Carson Levine (Ella Enchanted) and many more. Including, ahem, yours truly.

How cool is this: tomorrow I'm having lunch with Sanderson. Tomorrow I'm doing a signing with Levine. And on Saturday, the lady in charge promised to make sure she corners me with Mr. Card. Oh, he only wrote the book that would end up defining and reshaping my love of reading (Ender's Game).

Anyway, I'm very excited, and will give a full report next week. Come on over if you live around here. It's free, and pretty much runs all day today, tomorrow, and Saturday in the Wilkinson Center. I'll have free 13th Reality posters and bookmarks for anyone who wants one. My signing is Friday at 3:30 in the BYU bookstore.

Well, Happy Valentine's Day, and more importantly, don't let a silly date out on the town interfere with tonight's episode of LOST. Thank the good stars above for TiVo. Chao.

9 comments:

LaFemmeSimple said...

Too bad I'm in Georgia! Sounds like a lot of fun! Have you learned to take along a CAMERA (preferably digital) to these events?

LOST!! EEEE!!

Dedee said...

Wow, if my sis doesn't bring her kids down, I am there with a book or two.

And congrats on getting your rough draft done.

Irish said...

Congrats on getting the first draft of book 2 done. =)

Have fun a LTUE...sounds like a lot of fun. They never seem to have free events like that here in MA.

Marsha Ward said...

Congratulations, James. There's no feeling like finishing, is there?

Have a great time this weekend.

Luisa Perkins said...

So very envious! Give us all the details on LTUE ASAP!

mckait said...

Orson Scott Card? too nice!! I love his books. You will be in good company...

And so glad to hear book two is on its way..

I am not a patient woman!

mckait said...

Have you read The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell??


fantastic read.. has a sequel, too...
Children of God. Put them on your list for when you finish book three!

Suey said...

We wanted to be there so bad today to have you sign a bunch of books but drum lessons got in the way! Maybe next time, huh? Yesterday we met Mr. OSC at his book signing. That was so cool. So very cool.

Tamra Norton said...

Yay--Congrats! And be sure to tell us all about LTUE.