Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Shannon Hale, Writing for Charity


Holy Hareinmekeister (LOVE GURU reference), I went over a week without posting! I've never done that in my nine months of blogging. I humbly apologize - after BEA, I guess anything I thought about writing seemed anticlimactic.

I'm having lunch today with Lisa Mangum and Chris Schoebinger from my publisher. They've both now read THE HUNT FOR DARK INFINITY and are ready to butcher me and stab me and rip my baby to pieces. I tried to grow thick skin last night, but fell asleep. I'll let you know how it goes. (Actually, they both told me they liked it, so it shouldn't be too bad.)

THE MAZE RUNNER is officially out at publishers. I'd say more, but my agent would chop off my fingers if I did so. I'll let you know if and when it sells. I mean when. Not if. Right?

Anyway, the main thing I want to announce today is a writer's conference organized by Shannon Hale, from which all proceeds will go to charity. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it on that day, but I thought I'd put the details on this here bloggity blog. For pretty cheap, you'll be able to spend several hours with some great authors, and help charity all at the same time. Here's the skinny:


Writing for Charity

This summer have unfettered access to professional children’s authors, all in the name of charity! Saturday, July 19, several local authors will host a Writing for Charity event in Salt Lake City, with all profits going to The Wheelchair Project. Come hear writers talk about their process, how to write for a young audience, storytelling tips, and the ins and outs of the publishing business. In addition, have your picture book text or first page of your novel (the most important page!) workshopped by professionals.

When: Saturday, July 19, 9 am to 1 pm
Where: Salt Lake Main Library, 200 East 400 South, Salt Lake City, Utah
Cost: $45 (should be tax deductible!)

Event breakdown: 9:00 am -- Registration
9:15 - 10:15 am -- Panel discussion in the auditorium
10:30 - 11:15 -- Break out discussions in topic groups
11:30 - 1:00 -- Small group workshops

Authors include Brandon Mull, Shannon Hale, Mette Ivie Harrison, Ann Cannon, Kristyn Crow, Becky Hickox, Kimberley Heuston, Anne Bowen, Aprilynne Pike, Ann Dee Ellis, Mike Knudson, and Wendy Toliver.
Space is limited, first come first serve. To reserve your spot, mail in the $45 registration fee.

Mailing address: 1176 E 2620th N, Provo, UT 84604-4132
Make checks to: "LDS Philanthropies" (the organization that runs The Wheelchair Project) and write "Wheelchair" in the memo line.
Also include: Your name, age, phone number, and area of interest-- picture book writing, fantasy novel, or realistic fiction novel.

On the day of the event, bring 15 copies of the first page of your novel or picture book text (maximum word count: 300 words) for some hands on workshopping.

100% of the proceeds (after the nominal location fee) go to The Wheelchair Project, a wonderful charity that donates new wheelchairs to people in third world countries, many of whom have never had one. A wheelchair can completely change the life of a disabled person, offering mobility, increased independence, and a chance to go to school or find employment. Because this charity is administered by volunteers with LDS Philanthropy, there is no overhead and every penny donated goes directly to purchasing wheelchairs. This is not a religious charity--the wheelchairs go to the needy regardless of their faith. Thank you for supporting this extraordinary cause!

7 comments:

Jewel Allen said...

Thanks for posting about this James. Are you off cloud 9 yet? :-)

Anonymous said...

When. Not if.

By the way, did Mirrorstone tell you that they were going to use your blurb on the rear cover of the Bronze DC, or do you just pick up the book and find out? You're on your way to becoming a brand, James.

Danyelle Ferguson said...

James - Writing for Charity sounds so totally awesome! Thanks for sharing the info.

And please be sure to let us know how things go with Lisa and Chris.

Ron Simpson said...

I just read on my friend Mel Odom's blog that he was at the BEA with you. His link is on my page if you want to go check out his experiences

A Paperback Writer said...

This is a great idea.
I'm so glad that local authors are following the trend set by Rowling. For a while there, it looked like only the UK was going to reap the benefits of celebrity authors helping charity -- now we can too.
Unfortunately, I can't go on that day. I hope it's a big success and they're all forced to do it again next year (so I can go).

Tamra Norton said...

Sooooooo...how did it go?

Heather Moore said...

What a cool event. Say hi to Wendy Toliver for me! She is way cool if you don't know her already.