Wednesday, August 20, 2008

One Small Step for Mankind, One Giant Leap for James

It is El Completo.

THE MAZE RUNNER, first draft. Complete.

I struggled a lot with the ending. A lot. I knew how it ended, but putting it together was probably the most difficult time I've ever had in my writing career. I added something that was hard to write, and much deeper than anything I've ever done before. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if my editor makes me change it. It's brutal and taints the "happy" ending.

But after much turmoil, I decided this story needed it very badly. And somehow I wrote it. I'm kind of terrified to read it again, scared it might be a 9 on the old suckage scale. We shall see.

I'm surprised actually. I've always felt an extreme amount of elation when completing the first draft. Not as much this time. It's kind of a muted relief. Sometimes I think this book is too big for me, that I should stick to lighter fare. People, I really, really, really hope this book doesn't stink. I want this story to be fun, intriguing, fast-paced, exciting. The usual. But I also want it to leave the reader with an impression, leave them thinking long after shutting it.

We'll see. I have almost a month to work it to death, to make it better. We'll see.

Hope all is well out there. You'll notice I responded in the comments, something I'd kind of slacked on. No more! I'm superhuman blogger dude! I love getting your comments.

We're a week away from the Dashner Dude one-year anniversary. There'll be much celebrating, and maybe even a very special giveaway. Stay tuned. I may even post a picture of me in a speedo. Or maybe not.

Don't forget the big event this Saturday for Shannon Hale's new book, RAPUNZEL'S REVENGE. It'll be fun. For more info, see the prior post.

Time to get busy on Draft #2.

11 comments:

Q said...

If your editor does make you change it, maybe you should post it here after publication. Wink wink, nudge nudge.

J.N. Future Author said...

YEAH! Please please please PLEASE please hand out a copy of the first draft as the giveaway!!! you can have us sign a restraining order or something to promise that we don't give out secrets! It would be AMAZING! (i really need to stop useing "!"...)

James Dashner said...

Q, I like the idea of "deleted scenes" on the website. I know others who do that. Great idea!

JN, interesting idea. Very interesting idea....

Diana said...

hey!!
I just finish the 13th reality...what a book!! I love it!! but please come close to Virginia with some events...please!!!..I hope the 2dn draft is going well...and I think is a good idea post something here...sorry if my english is not to good..I'm not from here...still learning ;)...

Diana said...

hey!!
I just finish the 13th reality...what a book!! I love it!! but please come close to Virginia with some events...please!!!..I hope the 2dn draft is going well...and I think is a good idea post something here...sorry if my english is not to good..I'm not from here...still learning ;)...

Tamra Norton said...

Shouting out a big Wa-hoo for you, James for finishing this draft. With another month I'm sure it'll be right where you want it.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Good luck on the second draft. First draft completion is one of the loveliest feelings ever.

Realizing there is still so much work to be done? Perhaps not quite so lovely...

Can't wait for all the festivities.

Crystal Liechty said...

Dude, that was fast. I'm only halfway through my latest and I thought I started before you.

Marsha Ward said...

Very awesome, James, my boy. Coolicious. Now for the second draft . . .

Rachelle Christensen said...

Congrats! Hey I'm excited about this even more now. I love books that keep me thinking about them for days, weeks, after I've read the last words. Have you read many of Lois Lowry's books--hers are deep thinkers for a kid's level and I've enjoyed the ones I've read.

James Dashner said...

Thanks for all the congrats, and I'm glad you liked the book, Diana!