Friday, April 3, 2009

My fingers hurt

I did a lot of writing! In the last week I've written close to 20,000 words, which is just about the limit my poor little brain can handle. It makes me wonder how Brandon Sanderson is doing it with his completion of THE WHEEL OF TIME series. He told me he regularly shoots for 4,000 words a day. Yowza.

Which reminds me, I forgot to pass along the news about them splitting that last book into three. You may have heard that already. The first volume comes out in November, called THE GATHERING STORM. If you want to read Brandon's very own fascinating take on the situation, CLICK HERE.

So, anyway, THE SCORCH TRIALS is now up to about 72,000 words. I'm looking forward to chillin' with my mom next week. Although I know myself, and I can't fathom going that whole time without writing. Especially right when I'm getting closer to the big climax!

I hope some of you can make it to my signing in West Jordan UT this coming Tuesday, Barnes and Noble at Jordan Landing, 7:00. There'll be free posters, bookmarks, and lots of dancing. J. Scott Savage will also be there with his book FARWORLD. And sorry, I was kidding about the dancing.

There may even be a chance you can meet the very famous Georgia Grandma.....

Faithful Dashner Dude follower "I Like Seth" (who is this Seth guy anyway?) was kind enough to type up the summary of THE MAZE RUNNER that was so fuzzy in my previous post picture of the ARC (Advance Reader Copy). Here it is:

When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. He has no recollection of his parents, his home, or how he got where he is. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade, a large expanse enclosed by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning, for as long as they could remember, the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night, they’ve closed tight. Every thirty days a new boy is delivered in the lift. And no one wants to be stuck in the maze after dark.

The Gladers were expecting Thomas’s arrival. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl ever to arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers. The Gladers have always been convinced that if they can solve the maze that surrounds the Glade, they might be able to find their way home . . . wherever that may be. But it’s looking more and more as if the maze is unsolvable.

And something about the girl’s arrival is starting to make Thomas feel different. Something is telling him that he just might have some answers—if he can only find a way to retrieve the dark secrets locked within his own mind.

36 comments:

Clint Johnson said...

James, I'll make time to stop by and say hi on Tuesday--but only because there'll be no dancing. Also, I've never met Scott. Or does he prefer Jeff? Maybe I should play it safe and address him as Master Savage? Suggestions on which of the above appellations to use?

KA said...

I'm glad someone had the patience and the eye-squinting skills to transcribe that summary for the rest of us. I'm so excited to read it!

Anonymous said...

Jeff's a good guy. He's taught me a lot about the craft.
James, 20,000 words? Are you kidding! I'm so impressed. Tracy Hickman once told me that to be a good writer, you have to be able to stare at a computer screen until blood comes out of your forehead. How close are you?

Laura said...

Thanks for writing the summary out. Can't wait to read it.

20,000 words- you're the man. I'm just going to pretend like the only reason I've never done that is because I've never tried.

Think of all those muscles in your fingers that are ripped. That's gotta make you feel good!

The Scarlet Tart said...

I can't believe you're taking a break at the climax! Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! I can't take it! But seriously, you should bring your mom to dinner, although if she's anything like my mom she would rather see the grandkids. :)

Diva Donna said...

Dashner, Never fear, even though plans have changed for Tuesday, your psycho fans from EM are still planning the trek all the way to West Jordan for the signing and to meet the infamous Georgia Peach of a Mamma. Master Savage is of course another incentive to be there.

Graham is cracking me up with his dashnog skills...'mangst' is my new favorite word. English needs a word for man angst. the rougher more frustrated version of angst...its awesome.

20,000 words is quite an accomplishment. Well done you have set the bar a little higher.

dashnog-larmett [lar met]- a small rodent type creature that is known for devouring naughty children.
USAGE--you better listen to your mother or the larmetts will get you.
and beware the larmett in the closet. hehehe.

Diva Donna said...

Arlene we posted at the same time...many hours from each other..it's cause we are soo connected. lol. or we just spend a lot of time on the comp. (ahem..on dashner's blog)

Dashnog--Honspot [haun spaut]--a genius, who happens to be handsome as well as intelligent.
Usage--He is such a honspot, it makes me giddy just to hear him speak.

James Dashner said...

Clint, just call him Steve.

No blood on the forehead yet. In fact, this is the most fun I've had writing in a while. Intense and really good stuff. My mom better not get boring next week or I'll shove her in the closet and start writing.

Kidding Mom!

I love mangst, too. That just might be the Dashnog word that works its way into my book.

Arlene, I'm not at the finale yet, just getting closer and closer.

The Scarlet Tart said...

I don't see how you can stand it.

Lauren said...

I'm so excited about the Maze Runner! Which reminds me of the question I wanted to ask: What age group is the Maze Runner aimed at?

Anonymous said...

20k! Way to go Dashman! You must have some serious calluses on those digits.

Laura, LOL about the "ripped fingers." =]

Luisa Perkins said...

Wowie! That's a lot of words. Great job!

Unknown said...

Random House e-mailed me back about the ARCs. Right now we're playing hot potato with e-mails, but soon they'll have an address for me to contact about getting an ARC. I just might pull this off!

James Dashner said...

Go Graham go! If it works, you might have to share with some others.

Sunbum, this book will be listed for ages 12 and up. Basically they're aiming for THE HUNGER GAMES crowd.

J.N. Future Author said...

that would be cool to meet Georgia Grandma! ^.^

numberonedashnerfan said...

yay congrats with the words...cant wait to meet everyone....I will be the one in the 13th reality shirt...sounds like there will be a lot more people unlike on my birthday..James Dashner do you sign the chapter teasers....I wrote a short story yesterday at midnight..im bringing my camera....my toe has been hurting for a week ...hope your fingers feel better...my word is vergumb meaning forest gump...tiki tiki

numberonedashnerfan said...

oh ya and the story I made was very confuzing ...I might send it to you james so you can see how lame it is...word of advice dont write storys when your halve asleep....

numberonedashnerfan said...

actually I will bring it on tuesday

Unknown said...

I'm okay with sharing as long as you are. Let's wait until I get my grimy hands on the thing though :-)

Dashnog: Ressize. It's rest and exercise in one, like playing a Nintendo Wii while sitting down.

The Scarlet Tart said...

I thought you were going to say "like playing the Wii" and then you tacked on "while sitting down"...I don't think that classifies as any type of exercise I am aware of.

The Girl in the Other Room said...

So excited for the Maze Runner! Keep up the awesome work with the word count. You're an inspiration to us all!

Diva Donna said...

Dashnog= Plathmen- workers of mud and sculpture/ artisans that are not well treated in the world where they speak Dashnog
Usage-- The plathmen paved most of the roads brick by brick and the only thanks they recieved was some gruel and broken backs.

I like Seth said...

omg 20k!?!?!? Wow. I managed 27k in Nanowrimo, but that was a WHOLE MONTH! wowzers.

grahm, who did you email for the ARCS? i want one so bad!

haha. seth . . . lol. i feel so . . . mentioned. :D

ooh, idea! james, you have a goodreads! you should put it as a giveaway! i would totally enter :D

Unknown said...

I haven't heard back from them yet. Apparently I have to get in touch directly with the imprint, so I assume I'll hear back from them on Monday.

Dashnog: seabisch. It's a racehorse for people with significant speech impediments.

numberonedashnerfan said...

James we should tottaly go to dinner one day ......lol..... tiki tiki

I like Seth said...

i mean like did you just email some1 at RH ir is it a spcified email?

Magenta said...

Attention, Dashner fans and Dashnog contributers: I have now recorded 110 defined words in the mighty Dashnog language. You will agree with me that this is huge news.

Of course, there are 20 words which are not defined, so they're kind of loners. Hopefully the people who left these orphaned words will take a look at my list and provide good definitions for them.

Here's the 111th Dashnog word ever:
Coloy. Sounds like being cool and coy at the same time. Coloy.

Magenta said...

For those who don't have the link, here it is again:

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dchwzh4r_50kb5tx7ch&pageview=1&hgd=1&hl=en

Unknown said...

It was RANDOM House. They don't have a lot of specifics on their website.

numberonedashnerfan said...

Isitic- euphoric and disappointing

Walippeg- water Pokémon

Actar- guitair

Flanc- flaws

Reducker-sir quacks allot

Ailagbo- baby turtle

Supsines- sunshine

indicap- broken space bar

equadam- distance from yourself and your in-laws

supsidis- common house cold

fidessu- Random House

doasyh- stupidity

....who all is comming on tuesday.... tiki tiki

The Scarlet Tart said...

Can't make it. Wish I could, though! Love the dashnog words, #1. Been saving up?

Did I mention on here that I read "The Forest of Hands and Teeth"? It was a wild read!

I like Seth said...

what do you mean, grahm? *gets confused* you are putting too much on a teenager! nooo! :D

Angie said...

James--the signing on Tuesday is at 6 pm, not 7 pm...

Call me if you have questions :)

James Dashner said...

Angie, my invitations and Jeff's say 7:00!!!

The Scarlet Tart said...

Haha! :)

Magenta said...

Thank you, #1, for defining all those lost Dashnog words. Not only did you attach meanings to the words you left behind, but you took care of all the words left over by anonymous people. Good for you!