Friday, April 17, 2009

Susan Boyle and Reality TV Talent Shows

I know most people have heard about this by now, watched it, whatever. But this appearance (CLICK HERE) by Susan Boyle on Britain's Got Talent really affected me. Funny enough, the same thing happened to me last year when Paul Potts appeared (and won!) on that show (CLICK HERE).

I just love seeing normal everyday people have something special happen to them. Especially when those people are sincere and down to earth and have a glow about them. It's just awesome.

Maybe that's why I've finally given in and started watching American Idol. I especially love the original auditions because so many more genuine people get sent to Hollywood, and Fox does a great job of producing the pieces about their lives. Unfortunately, some of the contestants become a bit big headed by the current point in the show, which is sad.

Another reason I love it? Because man oh man can I empathize when they get harsh feedback or rejected. I know the book industry is a different ballgame, but rejection is rejection, and I can totally feel the disappointment I see in their eyes.

Too bad a writing version of American Idol would bore the tears out of every last person on Earth.

But I can see Simon saying, "That first paragraph reminds me of a vacationing second-rate dad on a cruise ship telling a lame bedtime story to his daughter, trying to get it over with so he can go have a drink at the bar. It . . . was . . . excruciating. Dreadful, really. Sorry, not trying to be rude."

BOOOOOOOOOO

"Just being honest!"

Anyway, congratulations to Susan Boyle. Not only can you sing, you are obviously a wonderful person and deserve this sudden limelight. Oh, and you have a wicked cool accent.

25 comments:

Carolyn V. said...

My husband showed me the clip of Susan Boyle. At first I was worried for her (the judges can be so harsh). Then she opened her mouth and began to sing. I must admit, I was in tears by the end of her piece. Amazing.

Clint Johnson said...

An American Idol for writing? James, if this demonseed of yours grows into some horrible monstrosity, know that I blame you. That's right, you! Want that on your conscience, huh?

The Scarlet Tart said...

Funny enough my husband showed me this clip as well. I loved Simon's reaction, being the last person to comment. He can be funny when he wants to be. Shocking!

The Scarlet Tart said...

Anybody watch 24 here? Monday's episode had the BEST twist at the end.

J.N. Future Author said...

I LOVED that clip! when I saw it for the first time I was SO impressed! she seems like such a nice person ^.^ I wish I could meet her in real life and shake her by the hand

James Dashner said...

Clint, you're so arnal (my dashnog word which means stuffy and snooty). I guess you also hate the Delacorte contest each year which tries to find a new YA author?

(Just for the record, I know Clint, so I can be mean to him.)

I'm watching 24, but we're 8 episodes behind, so no spoilers!!!!!!

Laura said...

I don't know about a writing reality show...
My husband told me that publishers should have a big red stamp with the word "REJECTED" written backwards on a special piece of paper. Underneath it would say, "Hold to your forehead for 10 seconds. Will last up to 45 days."

Unknown said...

Maybe you could have a Realitant TV show in book 3 or 4? Like Survivor, only you have to protect your alterants from your enemy's alterants in other realities. You could call it "reeptspi", which is the dashnog for today.

Garrett Matthews said...

What a coincidence! My mom showed me that on youtube just last night! I really did love her singing. It was amazing.

numberonedashnerfan said...

susan is a hero....I saw this in science today at school....so you saved me the trouble of finding it again....word insce def glow usage every has a glow in them...tiki tiki....

Enna Isilee said...

I saw Boyle. It was crazy how she shocked the audience.

I got THE MAZE RUNNER today! I'm so excited!!!

And I just have to show up at the children's festival? Because somebody said something about tickets...

numberonedashnerfan said...

what how did you get the maze runner

Anonymous said...

I haven't watched it yet. Am I banned from the blog?

Anonymous said...

Okay, I watched it. (I'm not banned now, right? Right?) Seriously, is that a diamond in the rough or what, people? Congrats Susan! Thanks for the link James. I've said it before but you just keep giving me reasons to respect and like you better. =]

Heather Moore said...

Yeah, I saw the Susan Boyle story on the news today. Awesome!

James Dashner said...

Enna?!?!?!? How in the world did you get a copy of MAZE?!?!?

Speak!

Thanks, Lex. :-)

#1, sorry I can't do that orchestra thing. We have family stuff going on this week. good luck!

KitKat said...

I play in a marimba group and we're actually going to audition for America's Got Talent on the 25th...cross your fingers for me!

numberonedashnerfan said...

ok.........

Unknown said...

James--

I just did a review of the first two 13th Reality books on Graham Chops. Hopefully it'll generate a wider reader base for the blog so I can make a stronger case for Delacorte giving me an ARC :-)

Dashnog: cries. You'll NEVER guess what it means.

www.grahamchops.blogspot.com

Enna Isilee said...

James... I have a feeling you underestimate my amazing book-reviewer powers.

And you obviously didn't get the e-mail I sent you.

*evil laughter*

James Dashner said...

KitKat, we'll all be rooting for you! Please keep us informed.

Graham. Dude. Thanks for that awesome review, man. Wow. Thanks.

Enna, you are amazing! Congrats and let us know as soon as you've read it what you think.

The Scarlet Tart said...

Hey Dash, just out of curiosity, is the 13th Reality series going to be a trilogy?

How's it been going lately? Just reading about your schedule makes me tired. Or maybe that's the all-you-can eat buffet I just got home from.

Suey said...

The best part of that Susan Boyle video was seeing Simon with his face in his hands, sighing away.

Unknown said...

I don't think American Idol for writing would be bad at all. In fact, I blogged about the idea a while ago. (I guess great minds think alike?)Think Stephenie Meyer and Stephen King as judges. After all, what better way to learn about conflict than judges going after each other?

http://jaimetheler.blogspot.com/2009/03/authors-need-piece-of-reality-show-pie.html

A Paperback Writer said...

First of all, of course Boyle has a "wicked cool" accent; she's a Scot!

Secondly, James, are you not familiar with the Monty Python skit "Wide World Of Novel Writing"? They do a sportscasting version (like Wide World of Sports, of course) of Thomas Hardy writing Return of the Native. It's so incredibly dull that it's hysterical.
It's probably on youtube somewhere, but I got it off of "Instant Record Collection."