Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Kingsley and Savage

I thought I'd give a big shout out to a couple of authors today, just in time to mischievously influence your holiday shopping. I do happen to know both of these people, but only through the authoring route. And I would never associate with bad writers. :-) Ugly ones, maybe (cue Scott), but not bad ones.

Ladies first:





Kaza Kingsley (definitely not ugly) is the author of the Erec Rex series, and she had some big-time news this year. The first 2 books (THE DRAGON'S EYE and THE MONSTERS OF OTHERNESS) were published by a relatively small press (Firelight). They did so well that the series was purchased by Simon & Schuster in an EIGHT BOOK DEAL!!!!!! That's almost unheard of. This delayed the release of Book 3 (THE SEARCH FOR TRUTH) until June 2009, but it'll be well worth it.

Anyway, Kaza and I have become friends over the Internet and have exchanged signed books, manuscripts, and cover blurbs. Our careers seem parallel in a lot of ways (the biggest way is the good news that I STILL can't tell you yet). Having said all that, I wouldn't be giving this shout out unless I thought her books were incredible, and they are. Seriously, very good stuff. And I'm one of the few to have read Book 3. It takes the series to a whole new level. Congrats, Kaza!!! CLICK HERE for her website.

Next:


The other author I wanted to mention is J. Scott Savage. His book is called FARWORLD: WATER KEEP, and it is good, good, good. He happens to be with the same publisher as me and he's also a very close friend. He's taught me more about writing, this business, marketing, you name it, than any other person. And let's face it, this is the only reason I continue to associate with him. :-)

Now, I'm not being biased here. The initial reason Scott (aka Jeff) and I became friends is because of my respect for his writing and knowledge. He's a wizard. And FARWORLD is an awesome book. You (and/or your kids) will love it! CLICK HERE for the website. (By the way, both of these websites are amazing - far better than most book sites.)

Both of these books/series deal with magic and other worldly stuff. But each puts its own unique twist on these concepts that makes them really fun reads.

You can buy them at any bookstore or internet site. Here are the links to Amazon:



I don't do much promoting on this blog - in fact, almost never. (Well, except for myself, which I do shamelessly nonstop.) But I really wanted to tell you about these two fine authors. Give them a chance - you won't regret it.

9 comments:

J.N. Future Author said...

^.^ Having read J.S. Savage - His new Farworld book has a very intriguing mix of fantasy and reality. It also touches on some very deep subjects, while staying in the realm of light fantasy.

10/10 ^.^

(never read Kingsley *cringe* yes, i know - a book I havn't read?!?! It can't be possible!)

Magenta said...

I have heard of both of these authors before. I only know Erec Rex from going on Google book search. I had no idea there was a sequel. Farworld I have seen in passing at Borders, but I can't seem to renew it from my library, though the summary seems really good.

I haven't read either of them yet. In fact, I wasn't completely sure about pursuing these novels at first, but only because the Dashner Dude recommends them am I going to really look for them.

Thanks a lot for telling me about these authors, James. You and your books really rock! Well, your book, anyway; I've only read the Curious Letters and your other books aren't out yet (sorry to remind you) but I'm sure they'll be awesome. Can't wait for them.

James Dashner said...

Magenta, that is very, very nice of you! Thanks.

You guys should definitely check out these books. Great filler til mine comes out! :-)

Unknown said...

I've read the Far World book by Savage - I have a book review pending. I thought it was great!

I haven't read the Erec Rex series by K. Kingsley - but after your recommendation I'm going to look for them.

I'm always interested in reviewing new young adult books!

J Scott Savage said...

Oh great! Now I'm going to have to buy you lunches forever,JK. Thanks for the nice holiday push! And let me say back that The Hunt For dark Infinity is incredible! best JD book yet.

Anonymous said...

You know you're killing me with these teases of "futuristic good news," right? KILLING ME!

As for the extra shopping ideas, My hubby thanks you. (And I will too as soon as I open them come Christmas morn!)

Happy Holidays!
L.T. Elliot

Brian said...

I loved Farworld, but I haven't heard of Eric Rex. I'll check it out. :)

Kaza Kingsley, http://www.erecrex.com said...

What an awesome post! Now I'm dying to find out what your news is - makes us more similar? Of course this gets my wheels spinning... !

Let me know as soon as you can! :}

Kaza

James Dashner said...

Kaza, I emailed you! :-)