Friday, April 4, 2008

Update on Book 2

It's been awhile since I last updated you guys on the progress of Book 2 (THE HUNT FOR DARK INFINITY). It's going well. I basically took a month off during the release of Book 1, but now I'm working like crazy again. My wife is currently reading the second draft and giving me feedback, always good. The most important thing: she loves it!

Once I go through her suggestions and work through it a couple more times, then I'll be ready to send it out to my trusted author buddies. Then it's on to my editor. In case you didn't know, it's scheduled to be released in March of 2009.

It's kind of weird to be the only person on the entire planet to know the details of your book. Particularly when you know it will be published and read by many. It's kind of like this magical secret that you're keeping from the world, living inside your head, a special thing for you and you only. On the other hand, it's terrifying to wonder what people will think about it. It takes a lot of work to write a novel, and no one can get past the worry that it will stink and be for naught.

Now my wife makes it 2 people. I love hearing her little comments as she reads. Especially when she says how cool it is to see Tick and Paul and Sofia and everyone else in completely new situations and settings. That makes me feel like they've become real to her, which is what I ultimately hope for.

I know Book 1 just came out, but I'm so excited for people to read Book 2! I personally think it's twice as good as Book 1, but I'm biased I guess. We'll see what you guys think.

I better apologize in advance for something. I've heard from a lot of readers that Edgar is their favorite character. Him more than anyone else. Well, he gets electrocuted and dies in the first chapter of Book 2. Okay, just kidding. But he's not in the second book that much, so sorry. The nature of the story just doesn't allow it. But he (and his wife) will play a huge role in Book 3. So be patient.

Last night I went to the annual author appreciation dinner put on by the publisher of the Jimmy Fincher books. I was a little nervous because sometimes I think they see me as a traitor. But they made me feel very welcome and still loved, to my great relief. And the food was dee-lish. Thank you, Cedar Fort. Especially Angie Harris and Kammi Rencher!!!

Okay, continuing the grand tradition started Tuesday, the second installment of the Dashner Dude Lyrics Thingy:

There's a light in your eyes that keeps shining
Like a star that can't wait for the night.
- Led Zeppelin

I love that line. Mainly because I'm such a sensitive dude.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey James, John Scalzi has a great blog post up about conference ettiquette for interacting with authors. See it here: http://scalzi.com/whatever/?p=581

I caught it because Neil Gaiman suggested the link on his blog. You might want to do yourself a favor and do the same, remind all your groupies of how to politely approach the man.

Ron Simpson said...

I am working on my book, and i talk constantly about the progress to my wife and a few others. I think my dad just nods and says, "uh huh," just to shut me up. My creative process needs to let it out in conversation. I don't know why.

Danyelle Ferguson said...

James -

I'm so glad book #2 is coming along well for you. Feel free to send it to me whenever you need a reader/editor again.

BTW - I recommended 13th Reality as my April book to read on my Queen of the Clan blog. I never did find a post from you when I spotlighted it back when it came out. I hope I didn't accidentally delete it. Sometimes I'm not very tech savy. :) So if you'd like a chance to comment this time, feel free to pop on over.

Melinda said...

Your lucky to have your wife as a reader.

My husband is a great support, he loves everything I write. Well, at least he says he does.

Sometimes I would like suggestions or critique from him other than the comment, "sounds good."

How can you grudge a dedicated fan?

Rachelle Christensen said...

Hey, great to hear about your book 2. How is Maze Runner going? Is it still in re-writes?

Luisa Perkins said...

Ahh, the Fool in the Rain.

My kids will NOT stop whining about how long it will be until Book 2 comes out. I'm hoping that you'll have another contest in which the prize is an ARC.

LaFemmeSimple said...

Oooooooooooooh do I get a sneak peek when you guys come home?!?!

Can't wait...everyone I know is bugging me about the next one coming out!

Lauren said...

This is so exciting for me! Do you know what day it comes out? If so I'm going to mark it on my calendar. *sigh* To bad about Edgar, I liked him too. My favorite character is Tick though. :)

Rachelle Christensen said...

Okay I just got back from Ladies Night at the Deseret Book in Spanish Fork and had to tell you that the manager of the store totally promoted your book. He was giving away different products in a drawing and held up "The 13th Reality" and said it was one of his favorite kids books and he thinks it's the best Shadow Mountain has put out so far. He said it was a great book to read together and he loved that this story didn't portray the parents as some evil ogres like most fantasy books do. Then when he did the drawing the first person wasn't there and he said, "She must have got sucked into Reality 7!" I laughed. He really liked your book and encouraged everyone to pick one up.
So there, hope that made your minute or maybe hour--I figure since you're getting so many kudos lately, it's not about making the day, it's now about making the hour! :)

Anonymous said...

No Edgar in book 2!?! Nay, I say! Nay!
And I like the Zeppelin lyric. Totally great line. Much better than 'did it hurt when you fell from Heaven?'

Irish said...

Tease tease tease....didn't your mommma ever tell you that its not nice to tease?

Glad to hear that progress is steady on book 2. =)

Tristi Pinkston said...

You *are* a sensitive dude, man. Like, totally.

And I just want to let you know how cool it is that your books keep coming out in March. That's my birthday, you know. It's like a little present to me. . .

Macotar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Macotar said...

I eagarly await reading for the book, if for no other reason, that I get to find out what happens before nearly anyone else I know :D. I think by book 3 you'll be unloading that 'job' you have and working at writing full time. You'll probably be doing it in your crushed velvet robe originally worn by Dashel Hammet along with the Fez from the Maltise Falcon. All this of course must be done in the backdrop of your writers cabin or writers beachhouse. Love riding the tails dude! keep it up!

James Dashner said...

Thanks for the comments - I wanna make sure you guys know I read and love them and try to answer your questions:

Rachelle, still waiting to hear back on Maze Runner. Keeping fingers crossed. And thanks for the heads up on DB - that's awesome!

Sunbum, not sure on which day it comes out. Probably the first Monday of the month.

Macotar, I hope that happens WAY before book 3. :-)

Anonymous said...

I jumped when you said that Edgar died. I can't wait for the second book to come out. good luck!

Aaron Brower

James Dashner said...

Hey, one of my biggest fans ever! Thanks, Aaron Brower. I'm glad I got your heart skipping when I said Edgar dies. :-)