Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Chicago Sun-Times Review!


We're very excited about getting reviewed by one of the largest papers in the country. Better yet, it's a very glowing review, making my day, my week, and my month. Maybe one day I'll get used to stuff like this, but I highly doubt it.

Here are my favorite excerpts:

"Something lovely has happened to youth fiction. James Dashner has written the first of a series of books about a 13-year-old lad named Atticus Higginbottom in The 13th Reality: The Journal of Curious Letters."

"Dashner also has a sweet sense of humor that imbues the book with a lightness to its suspense that complements his storytelling. Needs must address the seven-volume gorilla in the room, and mention that in a post-Harry Potter world, weak attempts to capture the Rowling Zeitgeist abound. Few copycats offer anything but their pale imitations. The 13th Reality is not of this company."

"The 13th Reality successfully delivers time well spent. The first volume of this series has been finely executed, and his invented realities have an entertaining moral construction for which the reader can easily assent. It is left to the next installment to divine if Atticus and friends have a shot at true literary height. No pressure."

For the full review, CLICK HERE.

Also, and I don't mean to belittle these guys at all as an afterthought, because they are one of the most visited fantasy websites in the country, I got a review from Fantasybookspot.com. I really love how this review is written and how much they "got" what I was trying to do. Check it out: CLICK HERE.

Sorry to pat myself on the back so much. It's just thrilling to get positive reviews from major reviewers, ya know? Authors are sad, pathetic people, and they need validation every once in awhile. This should last me through the end of the week. Or at least today.


DON'T FORGET THE 13TH REALITY GIVE AWAY!!!!! You have until April 19th, and all you have to do is leave a comment to qualify. CLICK HERE.

Lyrics of the day:

Okay, hopefully you got my joke last time. I'm sure Miley Cyrus has some great lyrics, but those cracked me up, listed exactly that way on the Internet. Back to stuff I've actually heard on my own:

You see everything, you see every part
You see all my light and you love my dark
You dig everything of which I'm ashamed
There's not anything to which you can't relate
And you're still here

- Alanis Morissette

21 comments:

LaFemmeSimple said...

Wow Jamestown! I'm all weepy over how cool those reviews are. You are Da Man!

Luisa Perkins said...

Oh, bravo, James! Wow--those are two HUGE raves! Dude, if you can't toot your own horn on your own blog, where can you? Go for it.

Sara Z. said...

That's pretty amazing, my friend.

J Scott Savage said...

Very big time my friend. Not only a major paper, but a wonderful review. Well deserved.

Terry Neff Allen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Terry Neff Allen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Terry Neff Allen said...

Congratulations on your review. I am already reading the 13th Reality, and love it!!! I love the relationship between Tick and his dad.
Sooo, If I mention Mr. Bean will I get a copy of Jeff's new book? Just wondering.

Lauren said...

It's not even my book and I'm excited. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Cheers on the reviews. You must be amasing quite a collection.

Are you recording them all and sending the reviewers (even those who were lukewarm, if there are any) thank yous for taking the time to review the book? I've heard that's good ettiquette. How do you respond to reviews, if you do?

James Dashner said...

Thanks, guys!

Clint, I try to comment on blogs that review my book if I catch it. I should send a thank you to the big reviewers like this. Thanks for the idea!

Aprilynne Pike said...

Go James! That is awesome!!!

A.

Crystal Liechty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Macotar said...

That is terrific! I doubt you will be tired of hearing good things, who ever gets tired of that? Yours is a model for hard work and determination. Good for you!

Crystal Liechty said...

Wow! What great reviews! James, you're big time now. Does this mean you're too cool to hang out with me? 'Cause I thought we were gonna do a double date but I don't want to get mobbed by a crowd of your adoring fans

Tamra Norton said...

James, James, James--this is fantastic! WOW!! My prediction is that Oprah (or her people) will read this now (since they DO live in Chicago) and in a matter of days (if not hours) you will be hearing from her (or her people) about being on an upcoming show.

Great reviews!!!! :)

Heather Moore said...

Congratulations James! These reviews are FANTASTIC!

If you ever need Miley Cyrus lyrics, just ask me. My 3 year old has all of her songs memorized (with a lisp thrown in).

Ron Simpson said...

It is great that you got the "face time" on the big review sites. But don't forget us little reviewers......We loved it too. Heck, we loved it FIRST!

Rachelle Christensen said...

That is so awesome about the reviews! Wonderful! It is a good book, so I think you better get used to it.

Danyelle Ferguson said...

James

How totally awesome! The Chicago Sun Times?!? You're definitely in the big leagues, boy! So, what do you think the 13th reality movie will be like??? :)

The Anderson's said...

Kudos to you!

My Journey Through Reading... said...

Congratulations! Can't wait to read the book this weekend.