Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Catching Up - Ten Things


Whoa, sorry I've been so quiet lately. It's been almost a week since I last posted. Unforgivable! Shameful! Disgusting! Okay, enough of that. Let me get you caught up. I've been very busy.

1. I have a deadline. Those are really good things to have if you're a writer, and I have to turn in Book 2 of The 13th Reality (The Hunt for Dark Infinity) to my wonderful and awesome editor, Lisa Mangum, this Friday, May 2nd. So I've been working on rewrites like crazy, and still have a lot to do. But I like how it's all coming together.

2. I have to shout out to Draper Elementary. I was fortunate to be a part of their Literacy Day last week, and it was fantastic. Anne Bowen was also there, and the event couldn't have gone any better. The principal, the teachers, the students - they were all incredible. The classes had done all these cool things like creating their own riddles and potential creatures from the other realities.

It was AWESOME! Draper Dragons - you guys rock! A special thanks to Debbie Snow and Tamra Baker.

3. I went to the Fablehaven 3 launch party last Friday night. Holy cow. If you missed it, you MISSED it. I've never seen anything like that. Over 2,000 people showed up, and the whole thing felt like one big rock concert. I just about lost the old eardrums when Brandon Mull walked out and the place went ballistic. Brandon, you are officially a rock star. Congrats.

4. The Hawks beat the Celtics both times at home, tying the series 2-2. It's been a LONG time since I've had fun watching my Hawks, so I'm loving every minute of it.

5. Congrats again to the winners of the 13th Reality give-away. The books and t-shirt are in the mail!

6. I'm so lucky to be an author, and to live in Utah, where for some odd reason tons of authors live. In the last few days, I've hung out with Shannon Hale, Brandon Sanderson, Brandon Mull, Sara Zarr, Jessica Day George, Anne Bowen, Emily Wing Smith, yada yada yada. And none of it was really planned, either. You should come live here.

7. I will be in Spokane, Washington next week!!!! If you live close, come see me at the booksigning. Friday night, May 9th, Borders, 6:00, 9980 N Newport Hwy. I'll be in San Antonio the week after that. Details in another post soon.

8. If you ARE lucky enough to live in Utah, please put these two events on your calendar:

May 10, Orem Barnes and Noble
2:00
Authorpalooza III
Me, Brandon Mull, Brandon Sanderson, Jessica Day George, Sara Zarr, Anne Bowen, and many, many others. It's gonna be nuts - come and join the party.

May 17, Provo Book Festival
For details, CLICK HERE
I'm doing a reading at noon and I'm on a panel at 1:00 with Brandon Mull, Brandon Sanderson, and Mette Ivie Harrison.

9. I'm finally reading The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Being a big fan of his, I'm not sure why I've waited so long. So far, so very good. And here's an important note for aspiring writers: notice I'm reading even though I have a huge deadline this Friday. All authors must be reading, a lot, all the time. I learned this from SK himself, actually.

10. A lot of people ask me this, so here's the answer: still no word on The Maze Runner. A publisher has it, the editor loves it, just been waiting to hear back for a very long time. I think I may actually send it out to some other publishers if I don't hear back soon, and try to take advantage of the buzz over The 13th Reality. But I promise, somehow someway, that book WILL BE PUBLISHED!!!!!

Wow, long post. Hope all is well in the world with you guys.

Lyrics of the Day:

My shadow's the only one that walks beside me
- Green Day

Ever feel like that? Hang in there, you are loved.

James

15 comments:

Melinda said...

James,

You make everyone feel loved.

It's your gift. Good luck on finishing up your revisions.

I have read to chapter 12 in 13th Reality. (Impressive, huh.)
Except my five year old was totally scared by the mechanical thing that runs across the room and under Tick'd bed in the dark and he made me close his closet door and turn on the hall light. I guess I shouldn't read it to him at night. I didn't realize it was such a scary book. :-)

Tamra Norton said...

Great things happenin' in Dashnerland! Exciting, indeed. (Hey, I just sounded like MG there for a sec.) :)

Sara Z. said...

Indeed, you shouldn't let so much time pass between posts. It's sad for your fans and friends. ---> :( (sadface)

Yay, Utah!

Lauren said...

I love Shannon Hale's writing! Not as much as yours of course. *ha*

A Paperback Writer said...

If you think it's fun living in Utah and bumping into authors, try Edinburgh, Scotland. JK Rowling's house was only a few blocks from where I went to church. I used to bump into Ian Rankin in the park now and then. Alasdair MacCall Smith used to teach at the uni where I was working in my MSc. And then incredible people show up at the annual book festival: Neil Gaiman, Stuart Hill, Debi Gliori, AL Kennedy, Lynn Reid Banks, Carlos Fuentes.... I've met all of them -- and more.
Maybe you'll be there, too someday.
In the meantime, I anxiously await the copy of your book.

James Dashner said...

Melinda, that's very nice. I'm just trying to figure out why it's taking you six months to read my book. :-)

Tamra, that was a good impression.

Sara, awwww. That's so sweet.

Sunbum, you're forgiven for your prior comment.

APW, I would LOOOOOOOVE to go to Scotland. Ask my wife. I'm obsessed with Scotland and am dying to visit. Go Braveheart!

Anna said...

Oops, I called The Maze Runner the Maze. I"m still looking forward to it though! And I"m also really looking forward to the 13th Reality. I eagerly await it.....:D

James, you are incredibly funny and fun.

Crystal Liechty said...

In regards to the hanging out with cool authors item: I hate you! Shannon Hale!?! And Jessica Day George is HILARIOUS! I wish I were pals with her. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

James,
Thanks again for coming to Draper Elementary.
The kids loved you and so did the teachers. Hope to have you back soon! I wish we would have had 50 more of your books to sell.
Debbie Snow

Luisa Perkins said...

So much exciting goodness, Dashner! Good luck on the deadline.

James Dashner said...

Anna, be sure and let me know what you think!

Crystal, now, now. Hate is a strong word. This will make you feel better: Shannon's son gave me a big hug when he saw me. Neener neener.

Debbie, I had SO much fun. Your school is Da Bomb. Thank you, thank you.

Thanks, Luisa. I need it!

A Paperback Writer said...

I got the book today! Thanks.
I'll probably start reading it tonight.
Glad to know you're a Scotophile. Drop by my blog when you want a Scot-fix, as I tend to be rather Scotland-obessed myself.

Rachelle Christensen said...

Awesome news! Good luck on all your upcoming events.

Lauren said...

Thank you, thank you for forgiving me even though I didn't ask for it.


*Sadly for you, I don't feel any bit repentant for what I have written :).*

Scoops Mangum said...

The Dark Tower?! It's about time! :) Lisa will be so proud! I have been re-reading The Stand.