Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Whoa, sorry I've been so quiet lately. It's been almost a week since I last posted. Unforgivable! Shameful! Disgusting! Okay, enough of that. Let me get you caught up. I've been very busy.
1. I have a deadline. Those are really good things to have if you're a writer, and I have to turn in Book 2 of The 13th Reality (The Hunt for Dark Infinity) to my wonderful and awesome editor, Lisa Mangum, this Friday, May 2nd. So I've been working on rewrites like crazy, and still have a lot to do. But I like how it's all coming together.
2. I have to shout out to Draper Elementary. I was fortunate to be a part of their Literacy Day last week, and it was fantastic. Anne Bowen was also there, and the event couldn't have gone any better. The principal, the teachers, the students - they were all incredible. The classes had done all these cool things like creating their own riddles and potential creatures from the other realities.
It was AWESOME! Draper Dragons - you guys rock! A special thanks to Debbie Snow and Tamra Baker.
3. I went to the Fablehaven 3 launch party last Friday night. Holy cow. If you missed it, you MISSED it. I've never seen anything like that. Over 2,000 people showed up, and the whole thing felt like one big rock concert. I just about lost the old eardrums when Brandon Mull walked out and the place went ballistic. Brandon, you are officially a rock star. Congrats.
4. The Hawks beat the Celtics both times at home, tying the series 2-2. It's been a LONG time since I've had fun watching my Hawks, so I'm loving every minute of it.
5. Congrats again to the winners of the 13th Reality give-away. The books and t-shirt are in the mail!
6. I'm so lucky to be an author, and to live in Utah, where for some odd reason tons of authors live. In the last few days, I've hung out with Shannon Hale, Brandon Sanderson, Brandon Mull, Sara Zarr, Jessica Day George, Anne Bowen, Emily Wing Smith, yada yada yada. And none of it was really planned, either. You should come live here.
7. I will be in Spokane, Washington next week!!!! If you live close, come see me at the booksigning. Friday night, May 9th, Borders, 6:00, 9980 N Newport Hwy. I'll be in San Antonio the week after that. Details in another post soon.
8. If you ARE lucky enough to live in Utah, please put these two events on your calendar:
May 10, Orem Barnes and Noble
Me, Brandon Mull, Brandon Sanderson, Jessica Day George, Sara Zarr, Anne Bowen, and many, many others. It's gonna be nuts - come and join the party.
May 17, Provo Book Festival
For details, CLICK HERE
I'm doing a reading at noon and I'm on a panel at 1:00 with Brandon Mull, Brandon Sanderson, and Mette Ivie Harrison.
9. I'm finally reading The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Being a big fan of his, I'm not sure why I've waited so long. So far, so very good. And here's an important note for aspiring writers: notice I'm reading even though I have a huge deadline this Friday. All authors must be reading, a lot, all the time. I learned this from SK himself, actually.
10. A lot of people ask me this, so here's the answer: still no word on The Maze Runner. A publisher has it, the editor loves it, just been waiting to hear back for a very long time. I think I may actually send it out to some other publishers if I don't hear back soon, and try to take advantage of the buzz over The 13th Reality. But I promise, somehow someway, that book WILL BE PUBLISHED!!!!!
Wow, long post. Hope all is well in the world with you guys.
Lyrics of the Day:
My shadow's the only one that walks beside me
- Green Day
Ever feel like that? Hang in there, you are loved.
Posted by James Dashner at 11:28 AM