Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Author Stuff

1. I should be getting my manuscript for THE MAZE RUNNER from Krista in the mail today. It's now gone through "copyediting", which means it's been proofread and all that and I need to read it and accept or reject changes by the copyeditors. Krista said it's very clean so it shouldn't take long. Then I think it goes to typesetting and ARCs can't be too long after that!

2. I received my author copies of the audio for THE HUNT FOR DARK INFINITY. Like he did with the first one, Mark Wright has done an incredible job. I love his Mothball!!! Haven't heard Sally yet. Wait, you guys don't even know who Sally is! This is so weird. Anyway, here are a couple of pictures:





3. My wife and I had the awesome opportunity to be in the home of James Christensen last Saturday. He is our favorite artist, and it was like visiting Santa Claus. His house is so cool, and he has originals of his famous works hanging up everywhere. I really wanted to swipe one, and even offered him 5 bucks, but it just didn't work out. He's a very selfish man.

I was there because he asked me to be the literary chair for his arts foundation. Here's a picture of me with the man himself:



4. Writing update for 13TH REALITY BOOK 3: 32,068 words. I'm really enjoying this thing.

5. Michael (my agent) asked me to write a synopsis for the 2 sequels to MAZE. Here's some background. We sold MAZE as a proposal, based on 50 pages and a synopsis. I think because of that, we only sold a one book deal.

I've always planned this to be a trilogy, and we're not sure when RH will be interested in pursuing the next book deal, hopefully for both sequels. But Michael wants to be ready with a synopsis if they ask. And based on the in-house buzz we're hearing about, I really hope that's sooner than later.

6. Interesting side note on that, something I don't think I ever shared. Like I said, I always planned this to be a trilogy. But Krista felt very strongly that slapping the words "Book 1" all over MAZE would cheapen it. She said it's a powerful book that shouldn't be "gimmicked" by making it an obvious series. Because of that, we altered the ending a little to make it more stand-alone-ish. (Though I think readers will still crave a sequel. You'll see why.)

7. I'll get you much more details on this later, but if you live in the state of Utah, I have excellent news. Krista Marino is coming to the big week-long BYU conference for writers and illustrators this summer, June 8-12. I can't wait to meet her in person and get to know her. I'll also be teaching a workshop at the conference.

I can say this from experience: if you can possibly make it, don't miss a chance to schmooze Krista with your work! Trust me on this. Sell one of your kids if you have to. Rob old ladies. Sell your heart on the black market. Don't miss this opportunity. More details to come.

Well, that's about it for now. Later.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Question for you: What will your duties be as the literary chair for Mr. Christensen's arts foundation? (I don't know much about this but I found it fascinating so I thought I'd ask.)

Also, how many classes/workshops would you say that you teach a year? Could you tell us more about that experience?

Sorry for inundating you with q's but I just thought I'd ask.

Congrats on all the fabulous good news! I'm totally going to be there for the BYU weeklong conf. I missed it last year and I've bemoaned my fate ever since.

LouMac said...

Cool pictures!

Hey! You only did seven things this time, not ten! Oh man, you ruined the tradition! Oh well. I'll forgive you if you give me one of the ARCs for Maze Runner! Just Kidding! You don't have to, but you can if you want to.

That man does sound selfish. Who wouldn't give up their original famous works for 5 bucks? That is a great deal! (For you!) I mean, come on!

Can't wait to hear about Sally. You do have to tell us now that you brought her up.

Luisa Perkins said...

It's so exciting! I'm thrilled for you re the Christensen foundation. Way cool.

Q said...

Oh, pick me! I know who Sally is!

Brian said...

I can't wait for Maze Runner!

Irish said...

You managed to do an update list with less than 10 items I am proud. lol

The audio looks cool...and Maze Runner sounds even cooler.

Panda Queen said...

Oh my gosh! Hi!

(This is Amanda Egan, by the way. Hope I'm not creeping you out.)

That's so fun that you've got all this "author-y stuff" going on! I will say that I am totally jealous. (:

Keep it up! Can't wait for your next book!

Anonymous said...

So cool that you got to visit James Christensen's home! Weirdly serendipitious, too--he is the artist guest of honor at Life, the Universe, & Everything (which everyone should know James is also a guest at), and the artwork behind you in the photo is on the poster to advertise LTUE.

(I wish I had five bucks to buy one of his originals!)

J.N. Future Author said...

A SEQUEL!!!! I can't even tell you what I would do to get a sequel!!! (i still think a prequel sequel would be cooler tho ^.^)(well, also a sequel sequel would be cool!)

awesome! the new audio! ^.^ I still need to buy the first one...*sighs*

(I don't trust sally....sorry, i just don't)

J.N. Future Author said...

Oh my gosh! I finally realized who I think you look like!

Peter Parker! (or Spiderman respectively)

sorry James, now you have to go into hiding again....since I now know your true identity!

Melinda said...

I already love Krista from the last conference. I'm so there. So. There.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Cool audio covers. Though I'd like to see pages attached the the regular cover (I mean, that's just me, but a lot of other people might want to do that by audio) and who in everything that is good, green, and fresh on this planet doesn't give one of their famous paintings up for 5 bucks! That's just sacreligious! And Maze sounds cool too. Even though it sounded like is was just gonna be a stand-alone, two more would be cool too.

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me?! June 8-12! I'll be gone! in idaho, I can't miss my first days at college. *sigh* I'm sure there will be another time...right? please tell me that I can go to one of your workshops, please! try to do one between january and june! please! I've been waiting so long for an opporunity like this.

and I can't wait to get my hands on the second book of 13th reality! I love your work! =D can't wait!

Julie Wright said...

I am commenting just to tell you how insanely jealous I am right now. Do you have any how much i love james christesen's work??? I own a couple of his signed ltd edition giclees and weep over the fact that i don't have more!!! Dang you Dashner!

Macotar said...

I hope I did sally justice, I kept thinking it needed to be a cross between ozark and Justin Wilson. I'm running out of accents here! Congrats on all the success. It's well deserved. But honestly, don't you miss crunching the holy numbers just a little?