Monday, January 12, 2009

Quickie

Hey there! Happy New Week. A few quick things:

1. A clarification: Some of you pointed out the sillywilliness of my doing movie reviews when I specifically said that I don't read movie reviews. Excellent point! The reason I don't is because they always tell you at least half the plot, often more. It's worse than watching a preview.

Notice in my reviews I didn't tell you anything about the plot. Now, this may make my reviews about a nine on the suckage scale, but there you have it. Now that I think about it, simply telling you whether or not I liked a movie might not be of much help. Unless, of course, you find out your tastes are similar to mine, then my reviews will be perfect!

Glad we got that all figured out.

2. Fellow author Ally Condie asked how many words my last revision of THE MAZE RUNNER ended up being. It was 104,000 words. That's my longest book yet, and I'd guess it'll end up being about 400 to 450 pages when published. Hi Ally!

3. We're now under 50 days on the old countdown for the release of DARK INFINITY! There's a very good chance that may be shaved by another whole week. My publisher is setting up my release tour as if the book's going to come out the last week of February, not the first week of March. Why? I have no idea. But I suspect it's because they want a little more distance from the release of FABLEHAVEN 4, which comes out at the end of March. (same publisher)

4. Speaking of release tours, I think it's going to be much shorter and simpler this time around, just 2 or 3 weeks. Why? I have no idea. But I suspect it's because of the economy's affect on my small publisher. Please don't let me use the words "I suspect" again. Sounds really stupid.

5. Speaking of the economy, PW had an article about how well the children's/YA book industry did over Christmas. That is excellent news for people who write those types of books. Like, me.

6. Rememeber you can be a "Follower" of this blog. Look for the link on the right side of the blog. Remember also that I am now on Facebook, and my blog posts go there automatically every time I do it. Friend me!

7. As we get closer to the release of Book 2, I'd like to have more reviews on Amazon because a lot of people will be scrutinizing Book 1 as I'm still a relatively unknown author. So, if you've read it, and especially if you liked it, please head over to Amazon and do a quick review! CLICK HERE.

8. My kid is the 13,543,762nd person to discover DIARY OF A WIMPY KID. He read both of them in a day or two and is anxiously awaiting the release of Book 3.

9. I finally read ODD THOMAS by Dean Koontz. My review: good.

10. Update on my first draft of Book 3 of 13TH REALITY: 8,042 words.

Somehow I always end up with ten things when I do this. I think I'm OCD on that. Hope everyone has a wonderful, wonderful week.

13 comments:

LouMac said...

Wow! I am one of the first people to comment. It feels nice!

I hope you have an awesome week as well. My uncle is OCD and bipolar. He's actually pretty cool. He just lost his job. : ( Oh well. I've been praying for him. Hope it all works out. Anyway, good luck on your rough drafts of The 13th Reality.

The spam word today is: mentse

WEIRD!

Kelly M said...

Will your book tour bring you to AZ again? I still feel bad we didn't get to see you last time.

James Dashner said...

Yes, in fact. I'll probably be in AZ for a full week since it's so close. Hope to see ya!

Peggy Eddleman said...

I liked your reviews. I prefer mine spoiler-free as well.

Do you have the link to the article listed in number 5?

Q said...

Be sure to say if the publication date changes. I have a book review scheduled to post on the current date, and I'd like it to publish when the book comes out.

Brian said...

Do you have a title for #3, or a working title? Or is that still a secret?

Allyson Condie said...

Thanks for posting that word count! I'm impressed. And congrats again on landing a national publisher (or perhaps I should be congratulating them on landing you). :)

J.N. Future Author said...

I'll write a review!
I promise to make it sound both amazingly fantastic and professional!

You have read odd Thomas! I'm actually jealous. I bought the "First" book to find out it was the second book. so I got the "Frist" book for Christmas......its the 3rd

As I can't read a book out of order I have to wait until I can get the REAL first book....

J.N. Future Author said...

never mind....I tried, and it says i need to have made purchases on the account first >.<,

Daron D. Fraley said...

Mission accomplished. Amazon review done.

Luisa Perkins said...

Oh, I've been dying to read Odd Thomas. Moving it to the top of my pile now. Thanks!

Going to befriend you on FB now....

Anonymous said...

Where's your facebook account?

James Dashner said...

lachish, thanks for that review!

JN, thanks for trying, dude.