Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Maze Runner is a go!

Sorry, we'll have to save the movie reviews for Friday. It's time to celebrate.

I just received word from Krista that she has officially accepted this version of THE MAZE RUNNER and has sent it on to copyediting. She loved my changes in Round 2 of our revisions and I'm officially giddy. After three years of hard work on that book, I'm done! I'm actually and truly done!

It feels more real than ever now. I can quit worrying about it and just be excited to see it on shelves. We still don't know the definite release date, but sometime this fall, probably close to Christmas.

Michael (my agent) immediately sent me an email and said we can also start submitting it to foreign and film rights agents. Since we sold it on proposal, he wanted to wait until we had an officially accepted final version. And now we have one!

Michael is really making sure I don't get my hopes up too much, however. With the economy in the toilet, he has a gut feeling that most people will want to wait and see how it does when released. So at this point, I'll see any additional sale as icing on the cake.

Anyway, I'm very happy this morning. Very, very happy.

Movie reviews on Friday. I'll give you a hint as to which movie I liked best: I'm currently reading an awesome book about how the Nazis rose to power in post-WWI Germany.

21 comments:

Sara Z. said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Unknown said...

WAHOOO!!! That's so awesome! And I'm trying to be giddily happy for you with no twinge of jealousy. Okay, maybe there's a little twinge, but the giddy happiness far outweighs the jealousy. Congrats.

Mark Daymont said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark Daymont said...

Absolutely fantastic news! You've worked real hard for this, so it must be especially gratifying.

Per your new study area: As much as I enjoy fiction it's sometimes very hard to beat the real thing... the story of how WW2 came to be and how it ended is mind-boggling. By the way, if you haven't read it yet, consider reading Kevin Anderson's Last Days of Krypton; he did a good job of showing how a society can lose its path and become a dictatorship.

J.N. Future Author said...

YES!!! YAAY!!!!! PARTY TIME!!! THE MAZE RUNNER IS COMPLETE!!!
*pops out the champagne*

Ah! I am sooooooooooooooooo excited for you!!!! no really! congrats! your story is going to spread like wildfire! I just know it!!!!

CONGRATZ! now im going to go and throw a party or something!

I CANT WAIT!!!!! YAY!!! *party noises*

James Dashner said...

Jaime, don't get jealous. Get even.

Mark, I'll definitely have to check that out.

JN, as always, thanks for your ENTHUSIASM!!!!!!

Karlene said...

Wonderful news! Can't wait to see it.

P.S. The word verification for this comment is "fretch"--just wondering if that's the new Utah swear word or something.

Heather Moore said...

HUGE CONGRATS!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't be happier for you if it was my own book being sent to copy-editing! Seriously.

Congrats, congrats!

The Anderson's said...

Woo Hoo Jamestown! You rock! We can't wait to read it!

Luisa Perkins said...

Hurray! So, so delighted.

Q said...

Happy day!

You're reviewing Valkyrie, aren't you?

Unknown said...

Congrats!! I can't wait to get this book in my hands for a nice good read! Party on!

James Dashner said...

Fretch. I like that! It's like smashing frigging and fetch. Fretch.

Thanks for all the congrats!

Q, you're brilliant. And correct.

Anonymous said...

WOOOOO!!!!! At long last! James, you are going to have to stop this flood of good news, or this particular extremely happy teenager might just have a happy breakdown (similar to a nervous breakdown, but caused by absolute giddiness).

Mr Ripley's Enchanted Books said...

Hello James,

Looking forward to reading all your new books for 2009.

Any chance you could put up a link to my blog site back in the u.k?

All the best.

Vincent

Unknown said...

So very well deserved, James. Too cool for words really. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

LouMac said...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
That's great James! Woohoooooooooo! I am so happy for you. You definitely deserve it. I can't wait for Friday.

Check out my blog, James. I'll mention you in there. This definitely needs attention. Before you know it, you'll have emails from all sorts of bookworms. My blog is:

http://cardio-author-loumac.blogspot.com/

I hope you're able to see it.

Sandra said...

Great news and congratulations!!

Jewel Allen said...

Congrats, James!

talyn said...

oud of ya you shank;) your hard work did most certanley paid off:) imma seventh grader and got yelled at by my parents for talking like the gladers ahha but i love your work and was wondering if there was an email i can chat with you at cause i write stories of my own and your story gave me an exellant idea and i wanted to share it with you:)