Wednesday, July 22, 2009
UPDATE: I may have good news about upping the number of ARCs to be given away (see #8 below). Stay tuned.
1. We sold rights to Taiwan for MAZE! How cool is that going to be, to see my book written in the Chinese characters? Too bad I won't be able to read it. The publisher is Sun Color Culture Publishing, and they purchased the "complex character rights" (as opposed to simplified character rights). Someone familiar with the language wanna educate us? (The list now includes Russia, France, Greece, and Taiwan. More soon we hope!)
2. Another cool and completely unexpected thing: The Romantic Times likes MAZE and is going to do a feature/interview on me and the book this October. Yeah, that's right. I'm the next Nora Roberts. (Actually, they highlight quite a range of fiction, but still. The Romantic Times. I'm gonna milk that one for a very long time.)
3. Book 3 of THE 13TH REALITY is now over 60,000 words. Tick just did something you won't believe in Chapter 33.
4. I signed up for Twitter a long time ago but haven't ever really used it. I'm gonna give it a shot, throwing out a tweet when I have ridiculous and embarrassing thoughts. Or when something cool happens. And for announcements and updates. My Twitter name is jamesdashner, and to follow me, CLICK HERE.
5. I'm also on Facebook, where you can friend me or "become a fan." How pretentious.
6. Also, make sure you become a follower of this blog! Just scroll down the right side of the blog here until you see the "follow" button then click it.
7. This all makes it sound like the Internet is consuming my life. I promise it's not - writing books is my main goal in life. This blog is the central point of keeping in touch with you guys, doing it two to three times a week. Everything else is just peripheral (wow, such big words) and takes very little time.
8. Okay, I have in my hands a nice shiny ARC (advance copy) of THE MAZE RUNNER, from the reprint Random House did with the actual cover (the cover wasn't complete in time for the first printing, which just had a black background with white letters). I'm going to sign and personalize this puppy and mail it to someone.
Here's how to enter: sign up to follow me on at least one of the three things mentioned above (twitter, facebook, blog) and then leave a comment on this post telling me you did it. And to keep the comments from boring us to tears, you also have to briefly tell us about the last book you read and whether or not we should also read it. (If you don't want to enter the contest, you can still do this last part!) UPDATE: A commenter had a good idea: you get one entry for each of the three things you do.
We're going away for a couple of days, so I won't be able to post again until Monday. The contest is open until then and I'll announce the winner. I will, of course, make sure the eventual winner did indeed sign up for something, so as to keep it fair to all those who really make the effort.
9. If this is a stupid idea, please ignore and go about your business. (And blame it on my friend, Bree Despain, author of the upcoming THE DARK DIVINE - Dec 22, 2009. She did something similar.)
10. If this is NOT a stupid idea, I just might give away two copies...... (And you can still blame Bree.)
Posted by James Dashner at 10:57 AM