Wednesday, March 26, 2008

A Few Quick Things

1. Hi, how are you doing?

2. The 13th Reality has received a lot of good reviews in the bloggy world, which we've been thrilled about. But one this week just really struck me as well written and very perceptive of what I tried to accomplish in the book, without giving things away. Plus, the reviewer loved it! Her name is Tia (I think) and she runs a blog called Fantasy Debut. I just discovered it and it's awesome - she basically reviews any major release in that genre. Please go check it out: CLICK HERE.

3. This is really cool: my book was #8 in the Deseret Book store chain the last couple of weeks, so for the next two weeks I'll be prominently displayed in the bestseller section in all of their stores. Hopefully that'll just create a snowball effect from the extra exposure. I think they have about 50 stores, so that's great news. Thanks, DB!

4. Have I mentioned lately how much I love Borders Bookstores? I can't wait to see the effect of all the things they are doing for me nationwide in April. I hope it doesn't tank for them. If you're new to the Dashner Dude, they are doing THREE major things about The 13th Reality. I'll be in their Original Voices section, they ordered 20,000 teaser chapter booklets for their teacher education packets, and there will be a story on me in their newsletter.

I'm not saying this to brag. I'm saying this because I feel strongly I should thank them for their support as often as I can. Borders, you truly ROCK!!!!!!

5. Can I just tell you that I love Led Zeppelin? Ever since I got my iPod, I've been rediscovering them over and over. Not that I ever abandoned them, but carrying around CDs was about the stupidest thing on the planet. How did people live in the album days? Anyway, I'd just like to reiterate to the world that LZ is the best band ever.

I hereby declare that when my book is made into a movie, I will insist that Kashmir plays during the credits. Hollywood, take note. I won't budge on this. Well, unless you pay me a lot of money.

6. Do you realize I haven't seen a movie in over a month? This is the most frightening thing that's ever happened to me. I feel empty inside. How can I be so busy that I haven't taken 2 hours to go see a movie? This is shameful. Note to wife: please "make" me go to the movies this weekend. Anyone have suggestions?

Movies are a HUGE part of my creative process. When I write, my ideas form very visually in my mind, often inspired by recent trips to the theater or DVD player. Next to reading, movies affect my writing more than anything else, and it's a very close second.

7. Spring is here. And it's awesome. I'm a big winter guy, but even I was getting tired of this long, cold, snowy winter in Utah. It's so stinkin nice outside!

8. Have a nice day. You really look great today. Did you lose some weight?

19 comments:

Suzy - Q said...

Thank you, and no, I didn't.

LaFemmeSimple said...

how do ;)

I might have to jump back on the MP3 player bandwagon and rip all my zeppelin cds. My poor little walkman, it's been abandoned because i never think to listen to music other than when i'm in the car...hmmmm

I can't wait for April!!!!!

Luisa Perkins said...

Led Zeppelin is the beyssssst. But, um, I'm using Kashmir in MY movie, FYI.

Have you heard the new Raconteurs album?

Dude, get thee to a movie theater. We liked "The Other Boleyn Girl." A bit smexy (my portmanteau of smutty/sexy), but quite heartbreaking. Eric Bana and Scarlett Johansen (sp?) are fabulous, as is the woman who plays Catherine of Aragon. And Natalie Portman can actually act, something I wouldn't have suspected after seeing the "new" Star Wars trilogy. The film's visuals are gorgeous.

Tia Nevitt said...

Thanks for the mention and the nice words. I just loved the father/son relationship thing in The 13th Reality and I'm looking forward to more of the "bodyguard dad" in future volumes! Congratulations on a great novel and I think you will be very successful.

James Dashner said...

Thanks, Tia. I really appreciate the review, and I really like your blog. I'll definitely stop by in the future. Edgar seems to be a favorite of a lot of people.

Luisa, thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check that one out. I like that old royalty scandal stuff.

Tristi Pinkston said...

In regards to #8, I already reviewed the book. Stop trying to butter me up!

Scoops Mangum said...

1.) Great. A little tired, but I gave my final lecture to my film students about "Things I have learned from the Movies" with the final exam next week.

5.) Zeppelin is amazing. Rush is better, but Zeppelin is really good too.

5a) I hereby volunteer to make your book into a film. DIBBS!

6.) Rent or watch on PPV an amazing little documentary called KING OF KONG: A FISTFUL OF QUARTERS. It's a film about video games, but it's so much more. Fantastic film, and hilarious as well.

8.) Why thank you, I am down 4 pounds over the last 2 weeks. You are so nice to notice. That's why our relationship works so well.

Do these silly posts make my blog look fat? http://scoopsmangum.blogspot.com

Macotar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Macotar said...

The best part about your blog entry is that it is the first blog that I believe accurately describes J.D. in a nutshell. From this one blog post, anyone will come away with a fairly well rounded snapshot of who you are. Contrary to scoops suppositions, Rush is NOT better than Led Zepplin. If you asked Rush, they would say the same. GET THE LED OUT!!!

Tamra Norton said...

Jamesbaby, it was great seeing you again at the Storymaker's conference. You're still a total goofball!

I just flew back to Texas yesterday after the conference and several school visits in UT. I'll have you know that I even promoted your book to the kids (well, after I told them they couldn't live without MY book). When I mentioned my favorite books/authors I held up "13th" and said, "My friend wrote this book and it rocks." So if you notice an increase in sales in the next few days...I'll take a little credit. :)

James Dashner said...

Scoops, why didn't you tell me you'd been hit in the head by a flying squirrel? You know I love Rush. But come on. LZ has their own sphere, and no one else is in it.

Macotar, that was really nice. I think.

Tami, it was great to see you. Say hi to Preston for me. What a stud.

Tristi, you're hilarious.

Brian said...

James-
Thank you. I know this doesn't have anything to do with the post, but do you have any idea when the next book is coming out. I'm dying here!

Anonymous said...

Jamie, you are AWESOME!!! I feel cool to because I knew you back "when". We need to do a GA party. Do you have any free weekends in April or May? This is Michelle, by the way. My blog address is www.sixmenandalady.blogspot.com Tell your family hi.

James Dashner said...

Brian, you're too nice dude. Thanks for your interest. Book 2 is in the revision stage right now and is scheduled for release in March of 2009. I really think you'll like it.

Michelle, what's up! I'm glad you found your way here. We should definitely do a GA party. Since Ben failed so miserably, maybe you should take charge.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it funny all of these varied reactions to the father/son relationship in your book. I am sure you have commented on this frequently but it seems to be the love/hate crux of your novel. If anything how sad is it that no one can believe a child would go to their parents for help. Zeppelin - unofficial soundtrack of the Dashner.

Paul

James Dashner said...

Luckily, most of the feedback by far has been positive about the dad thing. Edgar might be the favorite character, which has really surprised me.

LaFemmeSimple said...

gave your book away as a birthday present today to one of the kids at church...the girl's boyfriend saw it and said "hey! my mom got that book for us for easter" :D

Alec Aguilar said...

Okay, first of all, I finished your book last night. I stayed up til like 1 AM just to finish it. Might I add, this series has taken its place in my top 3 favorite series of books.

Second, I live in Utah too! The weather here has been the worst. Gah, I officially hate the cold. It even snowed last night. I wish it would let up.

Anyways, I love your book. I'm looking forward for #2.

James Dashner said...

Alec, you are obviously a stud. Thanks for the nice words! I can't wait for people to read Book 2.